On this week’s Sundays With Dan we feature a delightful Cherry Hazelnut Sundae. Enjoy:
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 tablespoon kirsch (to taste)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, loose skins rubbed off, and chopped
* 1 pint super-premium vanilla ice cream or cherry ice cream
* 16-20 bing cherries, pitted and chopped coarse
1. In a dry heavy saucepan (about 1-quart capacity) cook sugar over moderate heat, without stirring, until it begins to melt.
2. Continue cooking sugar, stirring with a fork, until melted and swirl pan until sugar is deep golden caramel.
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in cream, kirsch, and salt, stirring until smooth (mixture will bubble up). Stir in hazelnuts and let sauce cool.
4. Scoop ice cream into 4 sundae dishes and spoon sauce over it. Sprinkle sundaes with cherries.